The Things You Find When Cleaning Your Son's Room

2.26.2011


My son, Jackson, has always been pretty good about keeping his bedroom relatively clean but his idea of cleaning is "out of sight, out of mind" which means he stuffs things any place he can find! It's not unusual to find candy wrappers in his underwear drawer, game controllers behind his sofa or empty glasses stuck under his bed. Pretty typical stuff for a boys room, right? But one day while gathering dirty clothes from his room, all the while I was fussing under my breath at the state of his room, I spotted a ragged torn piece of paper that I scooped up to toss in the trash. Just as I was tossing it, I recognized the handwriting as Jackson's left handed "chicken scratch"! Messy misspelled words an all, I was completely taken back by what he had written:

"THOSE WHO WHAIT FOR THE LORD SHALL SPREAD WINGS"

I was at a loss for words. I felt like a proud mom watching her son score the winning touchdown at the Super Bowl. A proud mom watching her son win a Gold Medal at the Olympics. Reading that ragged little piece of paper made me the proudest I had ever been of him! No, he had not scored the winning touchdown at the Super Bowl nor had he won a Gold Medal at the Olympics but what he had done came from a place that was far more important to me!

So many parents focus on bringing up amazing athletes or straight A students but I have always felt that raising a spiritual strong, happy hearted child is far more important in this game of life. Success is measured differently for everyone but the common denominator is finding happiness in "your" success. In my opinion, success cannot be enjoyed if you are not a happy person. Since Jackson was old enough to understand, I have always preached that we always put our trust and faith in God and He will never fail us! Reading Jackson's "chicken scratch" note, I knew that my 12 year old son got it...no matter what path he chooses in life I pray that he will always remember that
"THOSE WHO WHAIT FOR THE LORD SHALL SPREAD WINGS"

At the time I found the note, Jackson was in a youth group lead by Pastor Derwin Gray. After hearing Pastor Derwin minister to him is when Jackson wrote the note! Thank you, Pastor Derwin for your faithfulness to your calling and for having a positive impact on my son's life! Pastor Derwin leads an amazing church called Transformation Church.
Isaiah 40:31
Those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

share this on::

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Digg

2 Comments »

This entry was posted on 2.26.2011. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

2 Responses to “The Things You Find When Cleaning Your Son's Room”

  1. Oh my heart is smiling at Jackson and his beautiful spirit. You should be so proud. My youngest son Jake was killed almost 9 months ago and all his life he was in love with the Lord and it makes his leaving us bearable to know where he is now. You've got a sweet blog and the make-overs are fabulous! Mollye

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so understand your joy! My 3 children are grown, married and gone from my nest...but I remember finding things like this in their rooms, ro them bringing them home to me....precious memories!
    ;-D Kathleen

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! I read all of them and I promise to reply! :-)