Stairway Gets a New Look with Paint & Runner

3.15.2013

When you buy an existing home or build a home 
sometimes it takes more than one makeover to get it right!
Scroll down a couple of pics to see how bad these stairs 
were when we moved in! 
I initially thought removing the ugly stained carpet from the previous owner and re-staining the steps would appease me. But I was still yearning to paint the stairs and add a carpet runner.  I could never get my nerve up until my dear blogger friend, Rhoda of Southern Hospitality inspired me to do so.  
The key here is that I worked with what I had.  So many people will completely rip out what they have an start over. I was determined to not do that but I have to admit it crossed my mind! Once the carpet was removed the wood on the stairs had seen its better days.  But I kinda liked that they were beaten up...it gave the stairs some character. 
After a lot of hard work, I finally have my foyer /stairway the way I want it. I chose a peachy, apricot color for the walls because I love this color.  Also because I thought it would brighten up my dark foyer. Most importantly, I chose this color to pull the two rooms on both sides of my stairs together.  
To the left of the stairs is our family room 
and to the right is my office.  
The family room is made up of greens, golds and peachy silk drapes.  
My office is greens, robins egg blue also with the peachy silk drapes.  
Having the stairs between the two rooms using the peachy apricot color on the stair walls really pulled everything together!

I ordered the runner from www.Wayfair.com 
The runner name/style is Safavieh Couryard Terracotta.







Chevron frame and "Love is All You Need" came from Homegoods. 
White frames came from Pottery Barn.


This picture was taken when the house was listed For Sale. 


Taken when house was For Sale! 

~~~~~~~AFTER~~~~~~


This was my first attempt at "redo'ing" the stairs.  At first I thought I would just remove the carpet, re-stain the stairs, add bead board to the wall and paint BUT it was just too dark for my taste!

If you will notice above, I added this antique newel post that I found at the Screen Door in Asheville, NC.  (a great store full off all sorts of "great finds")
Well, I ran across another great antique newel post at
1st Consignment in Charlotte, NC. (GREAT store!)
I knew this one would be perfect at the top of the stairs.

Down with the OLD and in with the even OLDER!!  :-) 






The stairs walls were first painted the peach color. Secondly, I primed all the areas of the steps and bead board that previously had stain on it. I had to prime these areas before I could paint them the antique white.  I only primed on the outer edges of steps because I knew a stair runner would be added.

I painted off & on for a week but finally called a professional! :-)

Primer was necessary to cover the stained wood before I could paint with the antique white I chose.
Primer and Paint finished...ready to install the runner.

Carpet padding was cut to fit each step.


I used a staple gun to attach the carpet padding to the steps.  
The padding was not necessary but my husband and I 
wanted the padding.



When my hubby was installing the carpet runner, I snuck and wrote "love notes" to him on the stairs. 
 As he worked his way down the stairs, he saw the notes! :-)
I knew once the carpet runner went in my notes would not be seen!  
We stapled mostly under the stair nose, but we did add several staples on each step in the back corner.  We also stapled a couple at the outer edge of each step. NOTE:  We tried using a regular staple gun but we needed more power; therefore, my husband's electric stapler came in very handy. 
It took a total of 3 runners for us to cover my stairs. We made sure the the seam was nicely hidden under the nose of a step. 


View into our family room.

Notice the peachy apricot silk drapes in family room.


View into my office. Notice the peachy apricot silk drapes.


Coffee table in family room.
 Frame came from Hobby Lobby. Vase and letter "J" came from Homegoods.






 Pillows came from Homegoods.




The big chair & 1/2 with ottoman I found at 1st Consignment in Charlotte, NC. I knew the second I saw it that I HAD to have it. It was in perfect condition and I loved the colors. At the time I had no idea where I would put it but I knew I would find the perfect spot! 
If you have a chance to visit 1st Consignment in Charlotte you are sure to find something you cannot live without! Tell the owners, Richard & Donna (you will love them) that Rhonda sent you! 















Paint used in the stairway.
Walls:  Behr Paint the color was Nectarina (egg shell)
Trim and bead board:  Sherwin Williams Paint, 6119 Antique White (semi-gloss)

 I am so happy with how my stairs and runner turned out! It completely added an entire new look to our foyer.  Thanks again to my dear blogger friend, Rhoda of Southern Hospitality for inspiring me to take on this project!


Linking up to:










share this on::

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Digg

31 Comments »

This entry was posted on 3.15.2013 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

31 Responses to “Stairway Gets a New Look with Paint & Runner”

  1. You and your sweetie did a great job! Your new old stairs look wonderful, and the runner definitely takes the "dark and heavy" feel out of your space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan for dropping by and the sweet comment!
      rhonda :-)

      Delete
  2. You have a wonderful home ,the stairs are so nice did a great job.
    Hope you have a great PS
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Glad you dropped by!

      rhonda

      Delete
  3. I LOVE it. I know it makes that trip up the steps SO bright now. Y'all did a GREAT job, but I think you should have waited one more week and let me come do the painting for you. We need some time to play. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh...thanks!! It would of definitely of been fun if you had been here to help! Please come soon...I miss you!
      love you!!

      Delete
  4. This is great. I found found your blog through It's Overflowing. I can tell I would love your home. Colors are great and I love the updating tutorial. New follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie!! Headed to your blog now!
      rhonda :-

      Delete
  5. Wonderful transformation and example of pursuing until you got it right. Love the bright colors. Great find at first consignment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always thanks for dropping by! Always love to hear from you!
      rhonda :-)

      Delete
  6. Fabulous makeover.

    Hopping by from Pink Saturday.

    My PINK
    Your comment is always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...it was a rewarding makeover!

      :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for hopping by!!! Headed to your blog now!
      :-)

      Delete
  7. What an amazing transformation! Everything looks wonderful!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin!!! I appreciate it so much!
      :-)

      Delete
  8. HI, Rhonda, oh my goodness, this makes me so giddy happy for you. I just love how your stairs turned out too, what a difference! Your hubby did a great job with the stapling and they look perfect. You would never know that there are 3 runners there. I'm so glad you got inspired by my project, thanks for the shout out. Yours is amazing! AND, those antique newel posts, be still my heart. That would be another dream of mine too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhoda, Thank for your dropping by!! Most of all thank you for inspiring me to take on this project!! I AM giddy about how it turned out...what a HUGE difference!! Everyone that comes in our house cannot believe how well it has turned out!!
      Hugs!!!
      rhonda :-)

      Delete
  9. This turned out beautiful! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry!! Thanks for hosting Home Sweet Home!
      ~~rhonda~~

      Delete
  10. Congrats! You are being featured tomorrow on Made in a Day!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I am so happy to have found a "neighbor" who blogs! You are very, very talented! THANK YOU so much for featuring me!! Looking forward to getting to know you!!

      ~~~rhonda~~~

      Delete
  11. Had no idea it was so simple to do a stair runner! This looks awesome!

    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna, Thank you for dropping by. The runner turned out to be much easier than I ever thought. The hardest part was trying to find carpet running that I liked...there was NOTHING out there that I liked!!! Once I discovered I could use hall runners this solved all my problems!
      Thanks for the sweet compliment!!
      rhonda :-)

      Delete
  12. I love the transformation. The beadboard, the railings, the runner work together. I love your living room.

    I am a new follower! Thanks for inviting me to see your Chevron frame. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! Thank you for sweet compliments! Looking forward to following you in your DIY projects!
      rhonda :-)

      Delete
  13. Wow! I'm so impressed! This looks FABULOUS Featuring you tomorrow! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee, Thank you for dropping by and the nice compliment! THANK YOU for featuring me tomorrow...this means sooooo much to me!!! Looking forward to getting to know you better! Headed to prowl around your blog now!!

      rhonda :-)

      Delete
  14. I love it, they are gorgeous. We are about to move into our new old farmhouse which hasn't seen any love since 1950. I know I'm going to have to redo most everything including the stairs. I love the bead board you used. Did you use the individual boards or use the bead board paneling. You have my head running with ideas. It's been awhile since I've seen our new place even though we closed on it last month. Hopefully we get to move this Sunday. Thanks for sharing your project and helping me to just calm down, I may not get it right the first time but it will all work out in the end.
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mandy,
    I am excited for you about your moving into an old farm house!! I suggest that you just take a deep breath and expect it to take years to get it the way you want it! It has been a "love hate" thing for me. The work is hard but the finished product is so rewarding! I wouldn't change a thing about our decision to buy an OLD house!!
    By bead board was by the sheet.
    Looking forward to hearing from you about how your move in goes!! Wishing you the best!
    rhonda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful transformation. Your house looks so charming. I have an old house and know all about the work involved but my greatest disappointment is that I don't have a stair case to decorate for Christmas. I'm stopping by from "It's Overflowing"..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the acknowledgement, Rhonda! What vision!!! Your home is lovely- but I wouldnt have expected any less!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! I read all of them and I promise to reply! :-)